Sunday, March 6, 2011

Not So Happy Birthday..

Today is my 30th birthday. I had planned to tell you the many ways in which I am not in crisis but my heart is so heavy.

I've lost a friend today, his name is Michel M.M. A very nice, well mannered, ambitious and hard working young man. It is so surreal, I'm still trying to digest the news.
There are days like that when you want to shout "what is the point of all of our travails if we don't get to enjoy their fruits?" when you wanna say enough already with the taking but you remember all that is given to you by the grace of God.
I remember him talking about his karate class in Karen's living room. And all the great conversations we had about our plans and our future. The type of conversation we so rarely have with our countrymen here.
I remember how I met him in SMC's Cafeteria in the spring of 2001 with my friend Bamba Mbow, with his large  "Hollywood white" smile telling me " I know who you are... You don't know me but I know your name is Sophie and I've been waiting to finally meet you" and I thought it was a prank...
Over the time we grew close and he was a brother I like to have around when we had parties at home. We would have hour long conversations and huge laughter... And he would always tell me we cannot live in the same city and only meet on parties.He was an over achiever and a very determined person. Last time I saw him was yet at another party...I can't believe he is gone. I love him dearly and I am already missing him a great deal.
RIP

1 comment:

  1. So sad! may his soul rest in peace...amen

    http://trendysturvs.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete